An emerging and expanding Property & Casualty InsurTech company is seeking an Assistant Controller who be an integral member of the finance team, managing the activities of the technical accounting, financial reporting process and related activities of the finance department. As the sophistication of the accounting and revenue process matures, the Assistant Controller will have the opportunity to be a key member of the Finance team and own the accounting operations function.
This position will require significant interaction with the CFO, Controller, and other members of the accounting department, external auditors, as well as internal non-financial personnel. This is a highly visible and compelling opportunity within an dynamic organization who continues to grow rapidly.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Generation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements for internal and external use in accordance with GAAP
- Hands-on implementation of accounting systems (Oracle NetSuite, Sage Intacct, etc.)
- Develop accounting policies and procedures, including technical memoranda and appropriate internal controls, to support the business objectives
- Identify and implement new financial reporting requirements
- Coordinate the activities of the accounting department to facilitate timely accounting close
- Monthly, quarterly and annual external reporting to investors
- Manage banking relationships and requirements, including performing weekly cash forecasting
- Coordinate the year-end audit with the external audit firm and prepare audit working papers
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statement reconciliations, roll-forwards and schedules for financial reporting and audit purposes
- Assist in the preparation of the annual financial budget and creation of mid-year forecasts
Experience and Qualifications
- 7+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience
- Knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Insurance industry experience highly preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or related discipline required
- Big 4 Public Accounting Firm experience, preferred
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license, preferred
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with financial statement preparation for all types of legal entities
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
Position is fully remote and will be based in New York, NY.